Monday, August 11, 2008

The Smells of School


Just for a fleeting moment today I was taken back to my first day of school. Nothing reminds me more of school than the smell of new crayons, new books, and freshly sharpened pencils. I experienced that today. There is a picture of me on my first day of school as I am boarding the bus. I rode the bus to school my first day and my Mom met me there.
I don't know why thinking of my first day of school reminded me of birthday parties but I think now is as good a time as any to say that I never had a birthday party as a child...a party where my friends were invited and it has always bothered me. Now I guess I should take that back because for my 13 birthday my Mom rented a house at Keaton beach for a week and let me invite a friend but that turned into a disaster. I had my second period ever that week. I had only had a period one other time several months before so I didn't know when to expect it again and well, you guessed it. It was that week. So I had to sit on the sand and watch my friend play in the water...it was pretty miserable.
Went back to work today for my first day of preplanning. It was like the last 25 years of preplanning, meetings and rules. We did have a good lunch of chicken wraps and broccoli salad. Then I had an afternoon of trying to get some lesson plans ready for next week. Nathan and Brittany made it back from the beach...woo hoo! DH penned up cows to sell tomorrow for his mom. Life goes on........

No comments: