Monday, August 18, 2008

First Day of School, First Day of the Rest of My Life


I didn't blog yesterday, I was just too tired. We had both pastors and their families over for lunch yesterday and had a wonderful time visiting afterward but by the time I got the kitchen cleaned up I was just too tired.
Looks like we have dodged the worst of the hurricane, it is now heading east of us. I didn't want any bad weather but we certainly could have used the rain.
Today was the first day of school, Marah's first day of Pre-K. I had breakfast with her and her Mom and I was excited for her but sad also because I know how quickly the years will pass. I guess you could call today the first day of the rest of my life because today is the first day I have ever gone to work without one of my children being with me. I have been fortunate to have them with me all these years but now that part of my life is over. I will adjust I know, but it is very sad and different for me.
I stayed busy today with my extra duties. I am overseeing the virtual school students, had my sixth grade wheel class and worked with my 6th period TA on the school television network. That is going to be great if we can get everything working. I stayed for afterschool and finally made it home.
It's been a week or two since I told a story so I guess I'll share this one today.
I was very sheltered as a child. I really never had any friends to play with as we lived in a small town with very few families. I mostly occupied myself. I was no savy as to the ways of other manipulative children.
I didn't go to kindergarten, we didn't have it back them. In my first grade class there was a girl named Vicky that was the niece of the school principal. Now, I received a nickel a day as allowance and that was to be used to buy a popsicle after lunch every day. This little girl didn't get an allowance I don't guess, anyway, she decided she needed mine. Soooo, one day she came up to me and told me that if I didn't give her my nickel she was going to tell her aunt that I had hit her and then her aunt would paddle me. I knew I hadn't hit her but I just believed that her aunt would take her word. For months this went on, she took my nickel everyday. Finally, one day my Mom asked me about my popsicle and I broke down crying and told her what was going on ( I don't know why I hadn't told her earlier, just afraid I guess). The problem was solved.
Now, this seems like a minor story in the great scheme of life but it has made a lasting impression on me. It was my first experience with someone lying to me, manipulating me, my first knowledge that the were mean people in the world. The first time I was bullied by someone. I've never forgotten it.
As a final note today. When my youngest was born, I planted a pecan tree. I've always called it his tree. That was 18 years ago. Today, I noticed for the first time, it is bearing pecans. The cycle of life goes on. One things ends and another begins. My gratitudes for today:
1. The cycle of life.
2. New beginnings
3. Good friends
4.The joy of seeing a child's first day of school
5. Escape from disasterous weather
6. Health
7. A DH that helped me cook a great meal yesterday.

No comments: