Sunday, August 10, 2008

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep


I was watching a movie on television this afternoon and in the movie a young child says his prayers with his mom before bedtime. I wonder how many children are taught to say their prayers before bedtime in our world today? I know I failed with my children. I did say prayers with them sporadically but not enough for it to become a habit like my mother did with me. Even now I can remember the little prayer I was taught..

Now I lay me down to sleep

I pray the Lord my soul to keep

If I should die before I wake

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

God bless Mommy, Daddy......

and I went on to name everyone important in my life,

ending with Amen.

I also remember being a little scared sometimes because I didn't want to die

during the night and that little prayer put death on my mind.

Back to the present. I get up in the morning and go back to work. I'm not looking forward to it as this is the first time I will go to work without one of my children attending the school where I work. I've always been fortunate enough to teach in the same school they attended and it has been wonderful to share this with them but now it is over. That combined with my new responsibilities have put dread in my heart. I will have to take the pastors words from our lesson tonight and make them mine. He said, "Nothing else matter but what is in your heart, if your heart is right everything else will fall into place." Please let those words get me through this year.

No comments: