Sunday, July 20, 2008

Waffleless Waffles and Church


I love Sunday, it is my favorite day of the week. It begins with breakfast with my family and then off to church. Being with my family, sharing a breakfast of pancakes and then going to church and being with my church family is a joy. For me, church is a place of peace, uplifting, spiritual renewal and serenity. After church today my son grilled us steaks and what a great job he did. This afternoon has been a time of rest, a good book, a movie, just quiet.

Now I know you are wondering about those waffleless waffles. I have three sons. God did not see fit to give me a daughter even though I desperately wanted one. I accepted his wisdom and wouldn't change a thing but when a little niece came along after 25 years of an all male family..well you can see where this is going. We have nicknamed her Miss Priss. Welllll, Miss Priss loves to spend the night with us and we lllloooovvee for her to stay with us. One Saturday when she was about 2 1/2 she spent the night with us. Everything was going along just fine until Sunday morning. When she got up and started asking for breakfast she wanted waffles. My waffle maker bit the dust years ago and I never replaced it because my family wasn't particularly fond of waffles. We had a problem..we tried to entice her to eat her favorite cereal....Nope...we tried pancakes....Nope...we tried toast and jelly....Nope...we tried eggs...Nope...we tried it all..she wanted WAFFLES.

Well DH hit upon a brainstorm...he said to her, "Alright, I'm going to make you some of my world famous, never before shared, delicious, WAFFLELESS WAFFLES and he proceed to mix up pancake batter and as he poured the batter onto the griddle he painstakingly shaped each one into a square with his spatula. We sat her down to the table and held our breath as we placed the "square" pancakes in front of her. She looked at us with a quizzical look but began to eat. They were a hit! The rest is now as they say "history". Every time she stays with us she requests waffleless waffles. This is her up above, don't you agree she is a doll!! P.S. We think she has figured out the whole pancake/waffle business but she won't admit it.

1 comment:

Perry Reichanadter said...

Sounds like a perfect Sunday. Quick thinking on the waffless waffles. Now I'm hungry! Don't know if I'd rather have waffles, pancakes or steak!