Sunday, July 27, 2008

Happy Anniversary!


My middle son and his wife are celebrating their first anniversary today! It seems like their wedding was just yesterday. Just another reason for the title of my blog, The Empty Nester. In less than a year one son married and moved out and another graduated from high school. It is all happening too fast, I want to turn back the hands of time but I know that I can't.

I want to share with you what a beautiful marriage my son and new bride have created. They are both kind and considerate people, very mature, and are hard workers. When we see them they still act like newlyweds...holding each other's hand and thoughtful of each other. I see God first in their marriage. They have started their life together with no mistakes and I know them well enough that I am sure their future life together will be just as beautiful as their love story.

Their wedding last year was picture perfect as they are a handsome couple and picked a beautiful location. I was shocked at first when they told us they were getting married. They had been engaged for about six months and said that it was going to be a long engagement, at least a year. After the engagement I told my heart that at least I had one more year of his being at home before he was gone. When he came in and told me they had decided to go ahead with the wedding I think my heart skipped a beat. My time with him was up. In six weeks he would be gone. You mothers will understand. I was happy for him to marry such a wonderful girl and I knew that it was going to happen sooner or later, but my last six months vanished. I'm not going to lie to you it was a shock and I didn't handle it well. I wanted to plead with him to give me a little more time, but I couldn't. All I could do was try to smile and wish them the best.

I have survived this last year secure in the knowledge that even though my time with my son has ended he brought a new member to our family. One that we are proud of and love. They will share my final years with me here on this earth and see me off to be with my heavenly father when my journey is over. I hope they will be as proud of me as I am of them.

1 comment:

Kari Simonson said...

You sound so proud of your son!
He sounds like a great guy. First borns sure hold a special place in a mother's heart.
I know we don't know each other...but I wanted you to know that I checked out your blog.