Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Splendid


Every so often I allow myself to get totally immersed in a book to the exclusion of everything else. Today was such a day. Yesterday, I started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I know by now that most everyone else has read the book and it has been in my stack for a long time but I just picked it up yesterday and quickly became engrossed. This morning after running some errands I convinced myself that it would be alright to pick it back up and read a few more pages while I had my coffee. Once I started, I couldn't stop. It has been a long time since a book has touched me in the way this book has. Maybe it is because I have done so much soul searching in the last few months about what I want to do with the remainder of my life. My last child has graduated. Although I will ALWAYS be a mother I guess I am free to explore other areas in a way I haven't been up until now.
I would like to share with you what I think is the best quote from this book and maybe, just maybe, what I need to focus on....warning this may contain spoilers for those of you who haven't read the book.

"and yet she was leaving this world as a woman who had loved and been loved back. She was leaving it as a friend, a companion, a guardian. A mother. A person of consequence."

If this can be my legacy, I will gladly accept it.

2 comments:

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Hi, Empty Nester!
I love your waffleless waffle story - very clever man you have there!
Welcome to blogging. I think it's more addictive than a good cup of coffee, but I love it - hope you do, too
:)

emily freeman said...

Hi there, Empty Nester-I would love it if you added my link :) And I love this post. I didn't read the quote because I would like to read the book one day and I try to avoid the spoilers (thanks for the warning!) But I hear you about finding a book that touches you deeply to the point where you can't pry yourself away from it. I look forward to reading more about your journey.